The main place of interest is the Carthusian Monastery of Santa Maria d’Scala Dei, which now belongs to the Catalan government. The monastery was founded in the 12th century by King Alfons the Chaste of Catalonia, and was the first of its order on the Iberian Peninsula. It was the prior and his domains that gave the name first to the so-called "historic" Priorat and then the whole county. Expanded several times during its existence, the monastery was finally abandoned in 1835, with the disestablishment of the Spanish religious orders.
The ruined monastery is open to the public. A cell restored in 1998 and allows visitors to see how the monks in this community really lived. In 2013 other restoration works took place allowing the visitors to see a small cloister and chapels around it and the refectory.